Overview: What are we talking about?
If your business has special offerings that can be added to a booking (like exit baths, nail trims or frozen treats) or provides any potential discounts for bookings (like a friends & family or early check out discount), using the Other Charges & Discounts functionality can be very beneficial. Add-ons are be a great tool to boost revenue as well as provide an unique personal touch for your pet parents. This article will review creating and applying additional charges and discounts.
This article includes:
- How to apply an additional charge and/or add-on to a booking?
- How to apply a discount to a booking?
- How to enable add-ons on the online booker for pet parents to select?
Let's Get Started with this Video Overview!
How to: Apply an additional charge and/or add-on to a booking
To create a new surcharge, navigate to Account Settings » Services & Costs » Other Charges & Discounts.
Click the "Add a new charge" button to configure your new surcharge. You will name your surcharge, designate whether the charge is a fixed amount or a percentage, and enter a cost amount then click the "Save" button.
Now that your surcharge is configured, you can add the item or service to the Costs section of a booking. Navigate to the Cost section of a booking » click the "+Add additional cost or discount" link » select the appropriate surcharge » click Save.
*Please note: Some businesses prefer to manage certain add-ons as appointments. You can learn more about the appointment module HERE.
How to: Apply a discount to a booking
To create a new discount, navigate to Account Settings » Services & Costs » Other Charges & Discounts.
Click the "Add a new charge" button to configure your new discount. You will name your discount, designate whether the discount is a fixed amount or a percentage, enter a - symbol and cost amount then click the "Save" button. *It is very important to remember the - symbol before the cost amount so your discount functions properly.
Now that your discount is configured, you can add the discount to the Costs section of a booking. Navigate to the Cost section of a booking » click the "+Add additional cost or discount" link » select the appropriate discount » click Save.
How to: Enable add-ons on the online booker for pet parents to select when making a booking request
Navigate to Account Settings » Services & Costs » Other Charges & Discounts. To make an add-on visible on the online booker for pet parents to select, tick the "Shown on online booker" box. Once the box is ticked, you can select which modules the add-on should be associated to.
*Please note: Add-ons for the appointment module, must be first enabled on the "Other Charges & Discounts" page and also selected per appointment type.
When a pet parent logs into the online booker, an "add-on" icon will display if add-ons have been enabled for the specific module the pet parent is creating a booking request for.
Upon clicking the "add-on" icon, pet parents can select additional items that have been enabled for the module.
Pet parents will see any add-ons they have selected in the "Summary" section of their booking request. If needed, the pet parent can delete add-ons before submitting their request.
On the business side, add-ons will be noted in the "Costs" section and can be edited (if needed) before formally accepting the booking request.
Other tips and tricks
1. In addition to surcharges and discounts you create on the Other Charges & Discounts page, in the "Costs" section you can use the "Add additional charge or discount" link as an "open line item" for ad-hoc items if needed. Select "other" from the dropdown and complete the rest of the item's details.
2. When using the "Add additional charge or discount" link you can quickly update the quantity if the surcharge needs to be added multiple times during the booking dates.
3. If a surcharge or discount is no longer being offered by the business however, has been associated to a booking in the past, you have the option to hide the item. Navigate to Account Settings » Services & Costs » Other Charges & Discounts » tick the "Hidden" box. Once a surcharge or discount is hidden, the item will no longer display as a selectable option to add to a booking.
If you have questions about configuring your other charges and/or discounts, please reach out to out Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org